The Ontario Internationally Educated Nurses Course Consortium is delivering a two-year baccalaureate level competency-bridging program of study to help Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs) become Registered Nurses (RNs) in Ontario and compete successfully for RN employment positions. The consortium is seeking to hire a Competency Learning Plan Advisor who will support IENs to develop and follow their competency learning plan.
Competency Learning Plan Advisor will be required to:
- Work with students to develop a learning plan based on their HESI exam results and informed by program of study course content
- Check in with students on a regular basis to ensure that they are progressing in their outcomes and revising their learning plan throughout the program of study in order to fill their competency gaps
- Provide guidance to help students understand how and why Canadian education and practice differs from the education and practice in their country of origin
- Facilitate the transition of IENs into Canadian baccalaureate level education and Canadian nursing practice
- Advise IENs on how to apply course content to practice. Prompt them to identify exemplars of course content in the Ontario healthcare system.
- Refer IENs to the Course Instructors if they are struggling to understand course content
- Work with the consortium team to support students in meeting their learning goals
- Create logs of interactions with IENs including the issue they had and how that issue was resolved. Record the amount of time spent with each IEN.
- Write reports after each semester describing the overall experience working with IENs and their areas of improvement
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Nursing Degree. Masters of Nursing Degree preferred.
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Must be familiar with the HESI exam and NCLEX-RN
- Experience with and knowledge of IEN learning needs
- Willingness to provide one- to-one feedback to IENs and previous experience providing constructive feedback to students
- Willingness to consult with and provide feedback to the consortium team
- Willingness and ability to problem solve, take initiative, work independently, and follow up with students as needed
- Familiarity with teaching in an online environment
- The Competency Learning Plan Advisor will work with students remotely
- Applicants will hold a contract with Trent University
- The contract rate is $34.92 per hour for a maximum of 75 hours until April 5, 2020
- There are 42 students enrolled in the program of study
The application will remain open until the position is filled.
Trent University is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive campus community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Trent University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.